Sagona Homeward Bound

‘Viking’s’ Crew, Except Sick Injured, Transferred to S.S. ‘Prospero’ – ‘Foundation Franklin’ Arrives with Body of Patrick Bartlett

            All the men injured in the Viking explosion who were on Horse Islands were removed to the rescue ship Sagona yesterday forenoon with the assistance of men from Horse Islands and some 22 men of the Viking’s crew who were sent ashore from the Sagona on Saturday.

Transfer Of Men To Prospero

            The Ship was jammed all day but last night the ice loosened and the Sagona got alongside the Prospero at 3 a.m. when all the Viking’s crew, except the sick and injured, were transferred to the latter ship.  There are sixteen injured on board the Sagona, about eight of whom will require hospital treatment.  The Sagona bore up for home at 4 o’clock this morning.  The S.S. Prospero, which left Friday night with supplies, reached the S.S. Eagle yesterday and took on board the 28 men of the auxiliary schooner Sir William, after which the ship worked her way towards the S.S. Sagona.

Foundation Franklin Brings One Body

            The ocean tug Foundation Franklin, which was the first ship sent to the scene of the disaster, returned to port at 7 o’clock this morning, bringing the body of Patrick Bartlett of Brigus, whose remains were found amongst wreckage by the S.S. Eagle, Captain Wes Kean.

Plane Arrives

            The amphibian plane, organized by Dr. Frissell and piloted by Balchen, arrived at Humbermouth at 12:55 p.m. yesterday but was delayed from continuing to Horse Islands owing to non arrival of supplies.  The W.A. Co. plane, with B. Fogg of Concord, landed at Hampden shortly before six o’clock yesterday.  This plane was sent to take pictures of the scene of the disaster.

Removal Of Sick And Injured

            The message received yesterday from Dr. Moores, reporting the removal of the sick and injured from Horse Islands, is as follows:--

            S.S. Sagona, March 22 – 24 Horse Island men and 22 of the Viking’s crew in charge of Dr. Paterson, arrived safely aboard at 10 a.m. with all the injured from shore.  It would have been impossible to get the injured off without this help from Horse Island people.  At present we have everything cleared up and ready for home.  Still jammed.  Imogene and Beothic working towards us.  Total injured on board now number sixteen, all in fair condition, except King.  No operation done yet.  Transferred Herbert Case, Salmon Cove, appendicitis from Beothic and he is now under observation.  Approximately eight will require hospital accommodation on arrival. Advise Mosdell.  Weather excellent. – (Sgd.) Dr. Moores.

Reported Missing

            The following is a list of the missing as reported by survivors, according to the Minister of Marine and Fisheries: --

            John Austin, Brownsdale; John Breaker, Brigus; John Burke, 18 Spencer Street; Robert Bartlett, Marysvale; Patrick Bartlett, (body recovered); Teddy Carnell, Quidi Vidi Road; George Cross, Badgers Quay; Roland Carter, Pleasant Street; E Cronin, (stowaway), Plymouth Road; Varick Frissell, New York; Charles Fry, Brigus; William Goodwin, New Melbourne; Henry Hansford, Shaw’s Lane, St John’s; Joseph Kelly, Brigus; James Linthorne, Georgetown, Brigus; Joseph Murphy, Cabot Street; Stephen Mullett, Wesleyville; A.E. Penrod, New York; John Roach, Battery Road; Joseph Stockley, Brookfield, B.B.; Anthony Taylor, McFarlane Street; Zack Thistle, Pouch Cove; Harold Wiseman, Water Street West; David Winter, Valleyfield; Samuel White, Pool’s Island; John J. Wheeler, Lower Island Cove.


Plane Arrives Yesterday

Amphibian At Corner Brook

WACO Lands at Hampden 5:55 p.m. and Flies Over Horse Islands This Morning – Plane Piloted by Capt. Kent Left Pictou 10 a.m. To-day – The Amphibian Compelled to Await Arrival of Special Train with Fuel.

            The big Sikorsky amphibian with Bernt Balchen and companions which left Boston shortly after noon Friday and landed at St. John, N.B., in the afternoon arrived at Corner Brook 12:55 p.m. yesterday.  Five hours later the plane WACO presumably to take pictures relating to the Viking disaster, arrived at Hampden.

            The big amphibian will also proceed to the scene of the disaster as soon as a supply of fuel which was dispatched by a special train which left St. John’s 6:35 p.m. yesterday and arrival at Corner Brook noon today.  She is sent by Dr. Lewis Frissell, father of Varick Frissell in the hope of finding his son’s body or news of his fate.

            The following message sent by The Evening Telegram correspondent at Corner Brook was received yesterday:-

                                    Corner Brook, March 22.

            Balchen and companions arrived here 12:55 p.m. and was towed to the wharf.  The amphibian met with slight damage to right pontoon.  They were prepared to leave for Horse Islands immediately but non-arrival of gasoline made it impossible to do so.  Special train carrying the fuel expected to-morrow morning. Members of expedition which includes Cooper and Enslow express intention of leaving here on arrival of train with the view of making all the reconnaissances as necessary to satisfy all concerned that no men are on ice or shore in the vicinity of Horse Islands.  Flyers keenly disappointed because of delay.  According to Balchen the flight was uneventful except for one cloud bank.  A fourth member of the crew to leave Boston and all surplus gear including parachutes was left at St. John, N.B. to make it possible for the plane to carry the maximum amount of fuel to ensure success.


            The following information was supplied to the Minister of Marine and Fisheries by Mr. Eric Bowring:-

            Balchen arrived at Corner Brook 12:55 p.m. Plane hung up for lack of fuel.  Drum of sealing gasoline stored at Clarke’s S.S. wharf partly empty or unfit to use.  Plane cannot use the ethyl gasoline, an ample supply of which was on hand.  A special train was sent out at 6:20 p.m. with 1000 gallons aeroplane gasoline and 80 gallons lubricating oil.  The train should arrive at Corner Brook before noon to-morrow.  As soon as possible after its arrival Balchen will take off for the ice the Viking was in at the time of the disaster.  He intends to make several flights with Corner Brook as his base.  The International Paper Company are doing everything possible to expedite the flight.

            The following is an account of the amphibian when first sighted in Newfoundland: St. Andrew’s 11:40 a.m.; South Branch, 11:50; Crabbes,12:03; Robinson’s 12:10; Stephenville, 12:25; Spruce Brook, 12:40; Corner Brook, 12:50, Humbermouth 1 p.m.

            The WACO was first reported at Port aux Basques at 2:25 p.m.; Corner Brook 3:35 p.m.; Deer Lake, 3:47 p.m. she reached Hampden at 5:55 p.m.

            Both planes made remarkable fast time covering the distance along the coast to Corner Brook approximately 115 miles in 70 minutes.

            The WACO which took 2 hours from Corner Brook to Hampden a distance of about 60 miles apparently flew in the direction of Horse Islands and the steamers in that vicinity before landing at Hampden.

Another Plane On The Way

            A third plane, piloted by Captain Kent which hopped off from Moncton 7 o’clock Saturday morning and later landed at Pictou, left the last mentioned place 10 o’clock this morning for St. John’s.

Paramount Plane Meets Mishap at Horse Island

            The following message was received by Mr. Veitch, Superintendent of Postal Telegraphs at 12:32 p.m. from Otis Bartlett, wireless operator at Horse Islands:

            HORSE ISLANDS. – “Plane landed here on rough ice 10:50 a.m., a bit cracked up, but no injuries.


            The plane referred to is presumed to be the WACO in charge of Fogg which reached Hampden 5:55 p.m. yesterday coming here in the interests of the Associated Press and Paramount Pictures Inc. to take photos of Horse Islands and vicinity.  Fogg left Hampden this morning, intending a four hours’ flight, then returning to Hampden to refuel before making the return Journey.

The Evening Telegram, March 23, 1931

Back to Top

Back to Documents